Holiday Light Safety Tips
- Always check light strands and electrical cords for bare wires and broken ends
- Make sure you are using the correct rated extension cord. Outdoor use extension cords can be used in a cold environment
- Don't ever let the junction where the light cord and the extension cord meet sit in puddles, snow, or ice
- Never staple or nail light strands; instead use plastic light hooks
- Use GFCI outlets when plugging lights and decorations outdoors
- Use a light timer to turn off all lights before leaving your home or going to sleep
- When hanging lights outdoors make sure you have one or two people watching the ladder and you don't overreach
Christmas Tree Safety Tips
- When picking a real tree make sure the tree has fresh, green needles.
- When choosing an artificial tree it should be flame retardant
- Never place your Christmas tree near heat-emitting devices. Trees should be at least 3 feet away from any heat source.
- Replace incandescent light strands with LED lights; LED lights supply light without heat and help save energy
- Always turn off your Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home